Sunday, July 10, 2005

Reality Check

This article was published on December 17th, 2004.



I had a really bad weekend a few weeks back. You know the sort, everything that
can go wrong does, and everybody blames you for it. Your typical family stress,
school stress, friend stress, and relationship stress all piled in together,
with a dash of your normal teenage angst can make for a really poor Saturday and
Sunday.

After dealing with my fair share of misfortunes and tension I decided that I had
finally had enough and drove to Capital Lake for a walk. It was a bitter winter
night, the air was freezing, the rain was coming down in a drizzle and the
sidewalks were deserted on that cold Sunday night.

I strolled calmly around the lake listening to whatever it was that was playing
in my headphones, I wasn’t paying much attention. As I came around to the 4th
and 5th Avenue bridges on my way around the lake I decided, “What the hell” and
strolled under them, along the railroad, a little change of pace for my 3rd lap
around. It was a beautiful view of downtown from the tracks on that cold
evening.

After some time, sitting admiring the view and generally feeling sorry for
myself, I got up and started the stroll back towards my car and my warm bed.

On my way back under the 5th Ave Bridge I noticed what looked like some sheets
strewn up near the top of the hill, right below the bridge. I stopped and tried
to focus my eyes. It looked like a set of sleeping bags and a pillow. As I kept
peering into the darkness my sight came upon a face.

I was startled by the sudden appearance of this pair of eyes that was staring
straight back at me, perfectly still. Those eyes told me more than any book ever
could. They were cold, they were tired, they were hungry, and worst of all, they
were desolate of hope. I tore my gaze away quickly hoping I hadn’t intruded and
walked on towards my car.

As my feet passed along the wet concrete my brain couldn’t stop thinking about
those eyes. I drove home, took out some bread, a few slices of cheese and some
lunchmeat and made a sandwich. I added a drink and an apple and got back in my
car.

By the time I had returned and made my way up the hill another set of eyes had
joined the previous pair. I came up and offered my bag to the two of them, just
giving a quick hello, introducing myself, and wishing the pair of them a happy
holiday.

At first their faces were shocked, but they accepted the bag of food, shook my
hand, and managed a surprised smile as I made my way back down the hill. They’re
eyes were a little more hopeful.

Making my way back to the car a little bit of the truth that had been dawning on
me that entire night hit me in full force. As sorry for myself as I felt that
weekend, or as much as I thought I deserved the world’s pity, it all become
ridiculously trivial when I looked into those eyes.

I took a step back that night, and I gave a lot of thought to everything that I
have to be thankful for. A loving family, incredible friends, a good community
to grow up in; all are wonderful things that I am beyond lucky to be privileged
to.

Then I thought of things I didn’t normally think about. I became thankful for
the roof over your head, the food on the table, because I realized that not
everybody has even those “basics”. I was reminded that we all have an incredible
amount to be thankful for and proud of.

I’m not here to preach a crusade (for once). I’m not asking anyone to go donate
your savings account to the removal of land mines, or to volunteer 20 years of
your life in the Peace Corps, I’m not even asking you to drop a couple pennies
into the Salvation Army collection jar. All of that is personal and totally up
to you.

All I would like is that you take a quick step back from living your lives and
take a few minutes, seconds, whatever, to ponder how lucky and how happy you
truly are.

Each of us has so much to appreciate and be thankful for, we could spend our
entire lives thanking others. However, we have to live life too, so merely all I
ask is that you respect what you have and not take anything for granted, you
never know when it may disappear.

So the next time your parents wont let you go out to the movies or Old Navy runs
out of flip-flops realize that it’s ok, life goes on. Realize that there are
people not so fortunate getting by, many with a positive mindset. Realize that
you truly have no idea what the future holds in store and to relish the time,
opportunities, relationships, and luxuries you have now. And realize that
there’s always someone that cares, whether you’ve had a rough weekend, or have
to fall asleep in the cold under a bridge, there’s always somebody that cares.
Happy holidays folks, be safe and enjoy them!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home